The Institute of Music and Fine Arts (IMFA) was established in 1979 under Tribal Research Institute, which then functioned under the School Education Department. When a separate Directorate of Art & Culture was set up in 1989, Tribal Research Institute was incorporated under the new Directorate and the Institute of Music and Fine Arts was instituted as a separate branch under the Directorate.
The Institute of Music and Fine Arts is headed by the Senior Instructor who oversees the works of the instructors of dance wing (7 instructors), music wing (4 instructors) and drama wing (2 instructors). Up till 2017, the Institute has certified 1235 dance trainees and 945 music trainees, with a total of 1235 persons from 63 batches. A training certificate course is opened annually for three months wherein each trainee is provided a sum of Rs.500.00 per month as a stipend.
- Dance wing: The dance wing gives practical instructions on various Mizo traditional dances and folk songs. The syllabus consists of four subjects.
- Music wing: The music wing tutors modern music with basic practical exercise on different musical instruments. The syllabus contains five subjects viz. Music I, II, III, IV & V.
- Drama wing: In collaboration with National School of Drama, New Delhi; National School of Performing Arts (NIPA); North East Zone Cultural Centre, Dimapur and SangeetNatakAkademi, New Delhi, workshops and trainings on drama and performing arts have been organised repeatedly. Making use of these workshops and trainings, more than 300 persons have technically qualified for further engagement as artists/producers in promotional tours and instructors in local awareness and training programmes.
- Rental Mizo traditional attires and articles:Managed by the Institute, Art & Culture Department has various Mizo traditional attires and articles for rent in subsidised rate. The items can be rented for one day and must be submitted the next day failing to which amount to extra charge of the same rental rate of the items each extra day. Spoilage or loss of any items amount to replacement in kind of the item in case of spoilage/loss, or payment in cash in case of loss.
1.Practical dance course – The course instructs 25 Mizo traditional dances.
2.Theory – The origins of Mizo dances and folk songs with their cultural significance from the past to contemporary times is taught in the course.
- Folk song – More than 20 Mizo folk songs is taught in the course.
- Folk music – Practical usage of Mizo traditional musical instruments is demonstrated in the class.
- Music I – Basic conceptual knowledge on music is instructed in the course.
- Music II – Lecture on theory of Staff Notation with chord application using acoustic guitar.
- Music III – Exercise on Staff Notation with practical teaching on guitar fingering.
- Music IV – The course gives training on operation of sound system and practical application of cipher notation.
- Music V – Skills on vocal expression/vocal training, reading tonic solfa and music conducting are instructed in the course.
List of items and rental charge
1. Kawrchei - Rs. 40.00
2. Puanchei - Rs. 50.00
3. Mara puanzeh - Rs. 50.00
4. Mara Suit - Rs. 50.00
5. MizoPuan - Rs. 30.00
6. Shawl - Rs. 20.00
7. Hmaram - Rs. 20.00
8. Tualkawr - Rs. 30.00
9. Pawndum - Rs. 30.00
10. Ngotekherh - Rs. 30.00
11. Puanropuite - Rs. 40.00
12. Puanropui (Hlui) - Rs. 80.00
13.Lenbuangthuam Suit - Rs. 50.00
14. Thihni Suit - Rs. 80.00
15. ThihniSen - Rs. 80.00
16. Thihnihring - Rs. 80.00
17. Bawngekhring Suit - Rs. 50.00
18. Mizopuanhring Suit - Rs. 50.00
19. Puanlaisen - Rs. 30.00
20. Sakeizangzia - Rs. 40.00
21. Disul Suit - Rs. 50.00
22. Nawnthumhni - Rs. 20.00
23. NgotkherhSen/hring - Rs. 30.00
24. Puantialho - Rs. 30.00
25. Puanlaisen - Rs. 30.00
26. Bowtie Suit - Rs. 50.00
27. Arsipar Suit - Rs. 50.00
28.Tawlhlohpuan - Rs. 30.00
29. Puanrin - Rs. 30.00
30. ThangchhuahKamis - Rs. 30.00
31. Waist Coat - Rs. 30.00
32. Diartial - Rs. 10.00
33.Diarvar - Rs. 10.00
34.Tualpuan - Rs. 20.00
35.Mizotah (Tualpuan) - Rs. 30.00
36. Lalpuan - Rs. 50.00
37. PaihtePuan - Rs. 30.00
38. PaihteKawr - Rs. 20.00
39. Mara Puan Plain - Rs. 20.00
40. Senior Eng Suit - Rs.100.00
41. Puanropui pawl - Rs. 100.00
42. PuanRopui (B) Suit - Rs. 80.00
43. Puanropui (Z) - Rs. 80.00
44. Waistcoat thar - Rs. 30.00
45. Thihna - Rs. 20.00
46. Thival - Rs. 20.00
47. Pumtekthi - Rs. 20.00
48. Fei - Rs. 20.00
49. Feinalh - Rs. 30.00
50. Chempuilem - Rs. 30.00
51. Laltiang - Rs. 50.00
52. Fungki - Rs. 30.00
53. Seki - Rs. 30.00
54. Vaibel - Rs. 20.00
55. Kharvar - Rs. 20.00
56.Iptepui - Rs. 20.00
57. Iptechei - Rs. 20.00
58. Siapsuap - Rs. 50.00
59. Hnawkhal - Rs. 50.00
60. Phaw - Rs. 30.00
61. Vakiria - Rs. 40.00
62. Chhawn - Rs. 20.00
Apart from these traditional attires and articles, sets of suits and uniforms for ushers are available for rent.
- Suit (female) - Rs. 100.00
- Formal shirt (male) - Rs. 50.00
- Sash - Rs. 20.00
Location &Contact :
The office of the Institute of Music and Fine Arts locates at the building of the Directorate of Art & Culture. In the event of any queries regarding the Institute, one can contact the Director of Art & Culture Department.